Sunday, December 13, 2009

The price for working too hard

It has been very hot the past few days. The children brought out the inflatable pool and filled it up with water. Their cousins who lives a few doors down the road came and joined them. The splashes of water and laughter attracted the other kids in the neighbourhood, as they watched in envy.

"Nobody pee in the pool, ok?" as I looked questionably at the little one as he hopped in.

"OK" they all echoed together.

I continued on with my paperwork as the kids played on. Its their laughter that gives me pleasure of sitting down this hot afternoon swamped with paperwork. I have to get things sorted quickly at work, as we will be leaving for Umrah at the end of the week. I have been alone running the department at work, and the work became overwhelming.

Furthermore, there might be bigger changes ahead. I have been promoted. Happy? Not really. The promotion comes with the cost of relocating, and the Big Man does not believe in negotiations and reasoning. I was more than willing to let go the promotion so I can stay close to family.

As the little prince is growing up so fast, he needs his father figures around him (uncles...blood relatives...not "uncle uncles"......). I am afraid that being in a new place, having the role of the state physician in my line of specialty will be too much for me to handle without family to give me a hand with the family matters. I have seen too many unattended children in my line of work to see them run into trouble. Not that I doubt my children, as I have been gifted with such wonderful caring little souls, mature beyond their age. I just do not want to take the risk. And I am tired.....relocating means a lot of things....too many things.....Plus, the job carries a big responsibility (and great powers).

"You are a strong person and we think you are more than capable" said the Big Man. "Since you have done so well in your current position, we want you to set up the service in the next state".

What? I am happy you have all the confidence in me, but why do I feel as if I am being punished for working too hard.

"My decision holds. Its this promotion and moving, or nothing." said the Big Man again.

What again? Did he just threatened me? Is he telling me that I have no place in this Ministry if I do not take up the promotion?

"You know that I was a military doctor. I am very stern with my decisions. What I say goes. That is my job as head of the National Service". He said again.

"Yes, I know". I replied. "But I am a mother more than I am a doctor. My family comes first." and I got up, smiled at him and left his office.

2 comments:

D said...

wooo... such a dramatic ending! way to go girl! Err... I'm assuming you turned the offer and left him speechless? :)

may the best be ahead of us...

petite n powerful said...

Maybe the ending was a bit "bollywood-ised". I tried to hold the tears back, but succumbed in the middle of the meeting. At the end, I knew I was not going to get anywhere trying to reason with The Big Man. What do I do now? I may have to plunge again into the unknown. If only he was here with me, at least there is another head to sort things out.