Saturday, February 5, 2011

What does music mean to you?

I love my music.

I love playing it.

I love singing it.

I love listening to it.

Why?

I like the music I listen to because it relaxes me. I don't want it to be heavy, depressing, too loud or too abstract.

I love stories in my music.

But most of all, the music I listen to reflects the stories surrounding the time the music was around. When it was playing 75 times a day on the radio, the memories that goes along with it. It isn't just the music. It's the people I was around when the music was playing. It was what I associated myself with when the music was playing. So, excuse me for the real passionate music enthusiasm out there, I love listening to Westlife and Ronan Keeting because you used to laugh at it. The music brings back your laughter. I love the predictability of the music because you thought it was crap. I love the way we used to make up our own lyrics and sing in the car when the boys were on air. I love the memory of our first born humming a boyzone song before he could even talk.

That music relaxes me. I don't have to think while listening to it because, lets face it, you don't need much grey matter for that kind of music. It also leaves my mind free to go back to my favourite places and hear him again.

Weird as it may sound, the fact that it ticked him off makes me like it even more.

4 comments:

Poskito said...

Completely true, I often wonder what this world would be like without music.
It is so relaxing and conveys/reflects so much emotion inside of us.

petite n powerful said...

Poskito, touché!

Anonymous said...

Assalamualaikum,

Dear Sis,

Hope you don't mind me asking but did you studied in Ireland before. I am reading your posts and feel like our path have crossed before. I was studying in Galway before back from 1997 to 2003.

If I'm mistaken, please forgive me for the intrusion.

Salam muhibbah sis.

petite n powerful said...

W'salam Galway Gal,
Yes, your very inquisitive perceptions are correct. But if you have figured out who I am, please pretend you don't know. I feel my anonymity helps me with my writing....