Sunday, February 17, 2008

denial

Form fillings.....official forms. Can't hide away from it.

"We will need your particulars and your husband's for this loan application".

Oh....ok. Ummmmm......4 years and 2 months on, and I am still in denial. People can be so stereotypical. Why did she assume that I had a husband to particulise? I stared at the application form. It had a few boxes to tick. It was a simple enough form to fill.

Status: Single, Married, Divorced, Seperated, Widowed. No box to tick for Denial.

"Are you ok madame?"

"Sorry?" I asked.

"Do you need help with the form?" She asked me.

"Oh....No. No, I am ok. Just give me a few more minutes." She gave me a smile. One of those "hurry up already will you" smiles. I looked back at the status box. Why is it so hard to tick my status? I quickly gave it a tick, signed the bottom of the form and handed it back to the lady.

"Thank you madame. Please have a seat while we process your application." I sat down in the cold waiting area. Banks are just so....banky. I never know why I get nervous at the bank. I sat patiently.

The lady came out again, and she nodded at me, indicating that I should approach the counter.

"Ok Dr. We will take about 24 hours to finalise the contract of the loan and check out your financial background. But I am sure there will not be a problem. We will contact you tomorrow. Once this loan is approved, we will deal directly with the car sales agent so you won't have to come in again. The agreement will be sent to your mailing address by registered post."

"Thank you." And I left.

Another loan to add to the list. It was a lot easier when there were two of us paying for it. I'm struggling to make ends meet. But, who would believe.....a doctor that can't afford a house and a locally manufactured car. I don't mind though, not living in luxury. Just enough to have a solid roof over our heads, meal on the table, and a bit put aside for our children's future education. I do however mind the numbness that I have on life.

1 comment:

D said...

i sure know how you feel, dear petite n powerful... I had a young student's uncle come over the house to pick her up some time in february. Innocently, he asked, "Abang mana?" Errr... how do you say, you're single? And of course, I got the same question again, by a totally innocent woman only a month ago. Last week, some campaign officer knocked on the door, and was trying to be friendly. I had said I was a single parent when he asked where my husband was. But he kept pressing, asking where he was. When I said - he has passed away, THAT finally got his big mouth shut!!!

I realised that I was going to get a lot more of that kinda question and I've gotta be strong.

Keep well dear sis, Allah is always with us!